Monday, February 17, 2014

Encountering the Living God

My favorite non-Catholic Christian writer has to be CS Lewis. In his book, Miracles, Lewis sets out to prove that if God exists we have "no manner of security against miracles." In so doing he writes the following brilliant passage, one I never grow tired of re-reading. I thought I'd share it here for your Monday morning meditation. As you read the passage, ask yourself if you've met the same God Lewis had. And if not, why not?
"Men are reluctant to pass over from the notion of an abstract and negative deity to the living God. I do not wonder. Here lies the deepest taproot of Pantheism and of the objection to traditional imagery. It was hated not, at bottom, because it pictured Him as a man but because it pictured Him as a king, or even as a warrior. The Pantheist’s God does nothing, demands nothing. He is there if you wish for Him, like a book on a shelf. He will not pursue you. There is no danger that at anytime Heaven and Earth should flee away at His glance. If He were the truth, then we could really say that all the Christian images of kingship were a historical accident of which our religion ought to be purged. It is with a shock that we discover them to be indispensable. You have had a shock like that before, in connection with smaller matters – when the line pulls at your hand, when something breathes beside you in the darkness. So here; the shock comes at the precise moment when the thrill of life is communicated to us along the clue we have been following. It is always shocking to meet life where we thought we were alone. “Look out!” we cry, “it’s alive!” And therefore this is the very point at which so many draw back – I would have done so myself if I could – and proceed no further with Christianity. An “impersonal God” – well and good. A subjective God of beauty, truth and goodness, inside our own heads – better still. A formless life force surging through us, a vast power which we can tap – best of all. But God Himself, alive, pulling at the other end of the cord, perhaps approaching at an infinite speed, the hunter, king, husband – that is quite another matter. There comes a moment when the children who have been playing at burglars hush suddenly: was that a real footstep in the hall? There comes a moment when people who have been dabbling in religion (“Man’s search for God”!) suddenly draw back. Supposing we found Him? We never meant it to come to that! Worse still, supposing He had found us?" (C.S. Lewis - Miracles, chapter 11)


4 comments:

  1. C.S. Lewis is by far one of my favorite writers. The Screwtape Letters are absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've enjoyed the Screwtape Letters too. Right now, I'm reading my eldest the Chronicles of Narnia. He was a very gifted writer!

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Nathan - I've read a fair amount of Lewis, but I haven't read this passage before. I suspect I'll come back to it too. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole book is well worth reading and it's pretty short too. One of my favorite Lewis books. Do you have a favorite?

      Delete