Saturday, August 6, 2016

Comment Policy from Socrates

Here at Adoro Ergo Sum, I have a simple policy regarding comments and debate on the issues presented for your reading pleasure. It's been awhile since I've been able to post regularly thanks to a class I've developed and which I've been engaged in teaching over the last year on the Divine Comedy of Dante Alighieri - the greatest poem in the history of mankind - which ought to be read a couple times by every learned person.

As I hope to be able to post on a more regular basis coming up, I thought a brief reminder on the comment policy might be in order:
I am one of those people who are glad to have their own mistakes pointed out and glad to point out the mistakes of others, but who would just as soon have the first experience as the second; in fact I consider the first a greater gain, inasmuch as it is better to be relieved of very bad trouble oneself than to relieve another, and in my opinion no worse trouble can befall a man that to have a false belief about the subjects which we are now discussing. So, if you are of the same mind let us go on with the conversations but if you think that we ought to abandon it let us drop it at once and bring the argument to an end. - Socrates, in Plato's Gorgias
Here's to helping one another overcome error!

Socrates Teaching Perikles by Nicolas Guibal (1780)

Subscribe to our mailing list (no spam - EVER!)

* indicates required

No comments:

Post a Comment