Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Introductory Post

 Why "Adoro ergo sum?" Did you just want no one to ever find your blog?

Adoro ergo sum is Latin for "I worship therefore I am" it is a play on Rene Descartes famous line "Cogito ergo sum," meaning "I think therefore I am," which appears in his Principals of Philosophy (1644). Descartes was a rationalist. He thought the supreme human act was thinking. As Catholics, we know the supreme human act is worship. We exist to worship. That is our final cause.

Why are you writing a blog?

I've signed on to teach sixth grade catechesis this year and thought I might be able to use a blog to keep track of my experiences in the hopes that I can improve as a teacher.

What are you teaching this year?

Last Monday was my first class, basically a chance to get to know my students (7 boys, 2 girls) and to gauge their overall knowledge. Sixth grade is the year we give students their Bibles, so the DRE asked me to make sure I really teach the Bible to them. In my first class, I gave the students a quick Bible Quiz. The results were eye-opening as to how little they know about Scripture! So I guess I have my work cut out for me this year. We'll see how things develop.

Will every post be in this annoying question and answer format?

Time will tell, but I doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment